Brenda Gael Smith
Quilts & Composition:
Unlocking the Design Code of Quilts: Learning how to Make Things Better!
Any quilt you make is an act of design. Whether it is traditional, contemporary, modern or an art quilt, you are creating a set of marks, shapes and colours that have a connection to each other.
Drawing upon an inspiring collection of works from across the quilting spectrum, Brenda Gael Smith examines the elements and principles of design in action and highlights recurring types of quilt composition.
Understanding composition provides a vocabulary for describing and evaluating quilt design and provides a foundation for developing your creative practice, whatever style of quilts you make.
Brenda’s List of Resources
- Brenda’s Top 10 Compositional Layouts:
- DAIJ framework for critique.
- Art Quilt Collage: Deborah Boschert
- Color & Composition for the Creative Quilter: Katie Masquini Masopust & Brett Parker
- The Quilters Book of Composition: Ann Johnston
- My Favourite Facing Finish:
- Top Stitched Hanging Sleeve Tutorial
Sign up for the Serendipity Studio Newsletter:
Purchase the Dreamlines Project Files PDF: https://serendipitypatchwork.c